Spring Term Newsletter
Happy New Year! Firstly we would like to thank you for all your cards and gifts, they were very much appreciated and enjoyed.
This term we are introducing a home/school writing activity. Each child will have a turn to bring a class teddy (Barnaby) home one afternoon and return it the next day. We would like the children to draw and write about what teddy does at your home. The next day your child will share their work with the rest of the class.
Please let your child do their own writing and drawing and if possible say what they have written on the back. Don’t worry if your child only does “play writing”, writes strings of letters, misses out letters or spells words incorrectly. At this stage the most important thing is that your child has a go at writing and knows what they want their writing to say.
We will be recognising and writing numbers 0-20 and beyond. We will look at addition, subtraction (using Numicon and number rods) time and coin recognition this term. We will be learning the names and properties of 2D & 3D shapes. Please count and sort coins with your child, and talk about money when you are shopping. Playing games like snakes and ladders is a good way to recognise numbers to 100!
Our first topic is Space. We will be looking at what space is, learning the names of the different planets and looking at jobs in space. We will also be visiting the Science Museum and participating in a workshop about different jobs in space, the cost of this is £4.00 per child.
Our second topic will be ‘Growing’. As Spring starts, we will be looking at changes around us, focusing on what plants need to grow and the different parts of the plant. Any donations of seeds and bedding plants are very welcome.
Our PE days are now on a Monday and Thursday. We would like the children to bring in a PE kit which will consist of a pair of shorts, plimsolls and a T-shirt in their house colour.
- PLEASE NAME all sweaters, coats, gloves, hats, plimsolls etc.
- The children will be doing PE on Monday and Thursdays
- Pupils are encouraged to have a winter PE kit to hand (dark coloured tracksuit preferably black) during the Spring term as it will be significantly colder from January
- Parents and children are encouraged to check book bags for letters each day
- Your child will read with an adult in school twice a week and we expect them to read at home with an adult every evening. The most important thing is that this is an enjoyable and special experience so that children really develop a passion for reading!
- Please record the reading that you do with your child in their reading diary. This is an excellent way to share information about your child’s reading
- It would be really helpful if you could send in tissues for the class – thank you
- We welcome parent volunteers so please do let us know if you are able to help in the class or on trips