Welcome back and we hope that you all had a lovely Christmas! We are looking forward to another busy and exciting term with lots of interesting learning opportunities. We have already been planning trips, which includes going to The Natural History Museum! We welcome parent volunteers, please look out for the letter giving more information about this trip.
This term our Topic is ‘Dinosaurs’. This topic will really capture the children’s imagination and they will learn all about how dinosaurs lived. We hope that this topic might inspire future palaeontologists!
In English, we will be continuing with our Talk for Writing scheme and will be teaching Ten Terrible Dinosaurs by Paul Stickland, Dinosaur Alphabet by Peter Riley, Tyrannosaurus Drip by Julia Donaldson and Dear Greenpeace by Simon James.
We will be composing sentences orally before writing, as well as sequencing sentences to form short narratives. We will also be incorporating grammar in our English lessons and learning about adjectives, verbs, nouns, question marks and exclamation marks.
We will continue with our daily phonics and reading sessions too.
In maths, we will continue looking at addition and subtraction within 40, using practical resources to consolidate learning. The children will learn the multiples of 2, 5 and 10. We will also be investigating the language of length and height,
weight and volume.
Help your child at home Ask them to explain what they have been doing in class, practising number bonds to 10, 20 and beyond. You can also have fun using money to help your child understand the value of coins. Also, practise telling the time and talk about the passing of
Playing plenty of board games will help too.
We will be learning about weather and the seasons.We will be collecting and interpreting weather data and discussing seasonal weather patterns.
This term we will be learning all about Hinduism. We will be finding out about Hindu beliefs, what happens in a Mandir, Hindu holy books and the real meaning of Diwali.
07-02-20 – When I Grow Up Day
17-02-20 – Half term
25-02-20 – Trip to Natural History Museum
- PLEASE NAME all sweaters, coats, gloves, hats, plimsolls etc.
- Please ensure your child has the correct PE kit in school at all times otherwise they will not be able to
participate due to health and safety reasons. The children will be doing PE on Mondays and Thursdays.
- Any letters or reply slips which need to be returned, can be given to the adults in the class. Parents and children are encouraged to check each day.
- Your child will read with an adult in a small group every day. We expect them to read at home with an adult every evening. The most important thing is that this is an enjoyable and special experience so that children really develop a passion for reading.
- Your child will get a library book once a week. We would appreciate your support in returning them each Friday.
- It would be really helpful if you could send in tissues for the class.
- If you would like to help out on our trip please speak to your class teacher.