Welcome back and we hope that you all had a lovely Christmas! We are looking forward to another busy and exciting term with lots of interesting learning opportunities. We have already been planning trips and we are going to The Natural History Museum! We welcome parent volunteers, please look out for the letter giving more information about this trip.
This term our Topic is ‘Dinosaurs’. This topic will really grasp the children’s imagination and they will learn all about how dinosaurs lived.This is a topic that the children always enjoy as the thought of Dinosaurs are always so fascinating to children. We hope that this topic might inspire future palaeontologists! We will be studying Kandinsky as well as creating other art work to link with our dinosaur topic. In English we will be covering a range of non-fiction and fictional writing and reading, also working hard on spellings. We will be
continuing with the Talk for Writing scheme as lots of our English will be taught through exciting story books. We will be composing se
ntences orally before writing, as well as sequencing sentences to form short narratives. We will also be incorporating grammar through our English lessons learning about adjectives, verbs, nouns, question marks and exclamation marks. We will continue with our daily phonics and reading sessions too.
In science we will be learning about materials and sorting them based on their properties.
In maths we will continue looking at addition and subtraction, using practical resources to consolidate learning. The children will continue to learn the multiples of 2, 5 and 10, and learning division through the concept of sharing. We will be investigating the language of shape, pattern and time.
Help your child at home
Ask them to explain what they have been doing in class, practising number bonds to 10, 20 and beyond, addition & subtraction problems using bonds to 10 & 20. You can also have fun using money to help your child understand the value of coins. Practise telling the time and talk about the passing of time.
- PLEASE NAME all sweaters, coats, gloves, hats, plimsolls etc.
- Please ensure your child has the correct PE kit in school at all times otherwise they will not be able to participate due to health and safety reasons. The children will be doing PE on Wednesday and Thursdays.
- Any letters or reply slips which need to be returned, can be given to the adults in the class.
- Parents and children are encouraged to check each day.
- Your child will read and change their books with an adult in school once a week and we expect them to read at home with an adult every
evening. The most important thing is that this is an enjoyable and special experience so that children really develop a passion for reading!
- It would be really helpful if you could send in tissues for the class – thank you.
- If you would like to help out on our trip please speak to your class teacher and complete a List 99 check at the office.