Welcome back and we hope that you all had a wonderful Christmas holiday!
It is really lovely to have the children back in school and they have already made a great start. We are looking forward to a busy and exciting term with lots of stimulating learning opportunities. We believe that parents and teachers work best in partnership so please come and talk to us if there is anything that you are unsure about.
This term our Topic is ‘Transport’ and we will investigate how transport has changed over the years and learn about exciting developments. This topic will really grasp the children’s imagination and they will even design and create their own fantasy vehicle! This subject is really relevant because now more than ever the way that we travel affects the environment. We hope that we have designers and scientists of the future in Year 2! We will link our artwork to our topic and use different media to create sketches, drawings and paintings of vehicles. We will also create some amazing hot air balloons. In English we will be covering a range of non-fiction and fictional writing and reading, also working hard on grammar, handwriting and spellings. We will continue with our daily phonics and reading sessions too.
This term we will be covering the following topics: addition and subtraction,fractions, multiplication and division, place value, number bonds, reasoning and problem solving questions.
In Science we will be learning about materials and exploring how materials change when force is used. We will be carrying out investigations and experiments to find out more about a range of materials. We will observe and describe how seeds and bulbs grow into plants as well as exploring the local area to observe how plants grow.
Help your child at home
By getting them to explain what they have been doing in class, practising number bonds to 10 and 20 and beyond. Practise 10, 2 and 5 times tables and telling the time. You can also have fun shopping and using money to help your child understand the value of coins. Also, practise telling the time and working out how long it takes to eat supper, have a shower etc.
- PLEASE NAME all clothes including sweaters, coats, gloves, hats, plimsolls, etc.
- Please ensure your child has the correct PE kit in school at all times. PE is on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Pupils are encouraged to have a winter PE kit to hand (dark coloured tracksuit preferably black) during the spring term as it will be significantly colder from January.
- Parents and children are encouraged to check book bags for letters each day.
- Your child will read with an adult in school at least once week and we expect them to read at home with an adult every evening.
- The most important thing is that this is an enjoyable and special experience so that children really develop a passion for reading!
- Please record the reading that you do with your child in the yellow reading diary. This is an excellent way to share information about your child’s reading.
- Encourage your child to write in their yellow homework book as often as possible. This can include: writing sentences using keywords, writing about their reading book, creating or retelling a familiar story or weekend news.
- Spellings will be given out on Fridays and tested on the following Friday.
- It would be really helpful if you could send in tissues for the class – thank you.
- We welcome parent volunteers so please do let us know if you are able to help in the class or on trips.