Welcome back and we hope that you all had a lovely relaxing Easter! We are looking forward to another busy and exciting term with lots of interesting and challenging learning opportunities.
This term our Topic is ‘Let’s Go on a Safari’ and Animals, this is closely linked to our science work on animal habitats and classification. The children will be fascinated to learn about how animals are grouped and about their similarities and differences. We have found that children are really enthusiastic to share what they already know, and learn all sorts of amazing new information! The children have already impressed us with their art work this year and this term they will explore African art with a variety of media. In English we will be writing a range of fiction and non-fiction pieces, exploring alliterative poetry. We will read a range of texts and continue to learn how to answer different types of comprehension questions. As you know, there is now a greater focus on grammar and spellings. We will continue with our phonics and reading sessions too.
This term we will be continue to learn the 2, 5, 3 and 10 times tables using bar models, dividing, learning how to solve problems of money, properties of different 2D/3D shapes, time, fractions and problem solving. Reasoning is a big focus now and getting children to work methodically and explain how they work is more important than ever.
In science we will be learning about animal classification and habitats. We will be carrying out investigations and also growing and caring for plants.
- PLEASE NAME all clothes including sweaters, coats, sun hats, plimsolls, etc.
- Please ensure your child has the correct PE kit in school at all times. PE is on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Any letters or reply slips which need to be returned to us can be put in your child’s Book Bag. Parents and children are encouraged to check their bags each day.Your child will read with an adult in school at least once a week and we expect them to read at home with an adult every evening – please record this in their yellow reading diary. The most important thing is that this is an enjoyable and special experience so that children really develop a passion for reading!
- Please ensure that your child brings their reading book and yellow reading diary to school every day.
- Spellings will be given out on Fridays and tested on the following Friday. It will really help them understand and remember these words if they write sentences using the words.
- Please support your child to complete their homework on the ‘Mymaths’ and ‘Times table Rock Stars’ website.
- It would be really helpful if you could send in tissues for the class.
- We welcome parent volunteers so please let us know if you are willing to help on a trip, we really want to work closely with you so please come and chat us if you have any questions or suggestions.