Welcome ba ck and we hope that you all had a wonderful summer holiday! The children have settled in to their new class es well and are very excited about the year ahead.
We are lookin g forward to a busy and fun filled term with a variety of learning opportunities.
We believe t hat parents and staff work best in partnership, so please come and talk to us if there is anything that you are unsure about.
This term our Topic is ‘Street Detectives’ and we will be exploring our local area, and discovering the historical and geograp hical features. We will look at how the areas have changed over time and make comparisons between the n and now. Encourage your child to pay attention and notice landmarks and features of their local area on their journey to school.
Our trips and activities will be linked to our topics and will really enhance our learning. Our artwork will focus on creating p ieces of work in pencil, charcoal, oil pastels and paint.
In English, w e will be teaching grammar, comprehension, spellings and handwriting as well as daily reading sessions and phonics skills.
In RE, we will be exploring the idea and meaning of belonging to a church or other religious community, baptism; infant baptism, Christian weddings and how promises are important in both Christian baptism and Christian marriage.
This term we will be covering the following topics: Place value, addition & subtraction and multiplication & division for numbers to 1000.
We will also be learning about Money, identifying the value of different coins and notes; we will also start to look at measuring length and time. The children will develop their reasoning and problem solving skills through daily challenges. Your child will begin to count in steps of 2, 3, and 5 from 0, and in tens from any number, forward and backward.
Help your child at home by getting them to explain what they have been doing in class, practising counting in 2’s, 3’s and 5’s. You can also have fun shopping and using money to help your child understand the value of coins.
In science w e will be learning about ‘Health and Growth’ and understanding the changes that take place from baby to child.
- PLEASE NAME all sweaters, coats, gloves, hats, plimsolls etc.
- Please ensure your child has the correct PE kit in school at all times. PE is on Tuesday’s & Wednesdays.
- Parents and children are encouraged to check book bags for letters each day.
- Your child will read with an adult in school at least once week and we expect them to read at home with an adult every evening. The most important thing is that this is an enjoyable and special experience so that children really develop a passion for reading!
- Please record the reading that you do with your child in the yellow reading diary. This is an excellent way to share information about your child’s reading.
- Encourage your child to write in their homework book as often as possible. This can include: writing sentences using keywords, writing about their reading book, creating or retelling a familiar story or weekend news.
- It would be really helpful if you could send in tissues for the class.
- We welcome parent volunteers so please do let us know if you are able to help in the class or on trips.
- Your child will be bringing home weekly homework which will include spellings and timetables, please make sure you support your child with this.