Dear Year 2 Parents/Carers,
Welcome back and we hope that you all had a wonderful Summer holiday! It is really lovely to have the children back in school and they have already made a great start. We are looking forward to a busy and exciting term with lots of fascinating learning opportunities. We believe that parents and teachers work best in partnership so please come and talk to us if there is anything that you are unsure about.
This term our Topic is ‘Our local area’ and we will be visiting Alexandra Palace and Crouch End to sketch important buildings. We will look at how the areas have changed over time and make comparisons between then and now. We will then investigate the city of London, famous landmarks and important events in history that influenced and shaped the city. After that, we will find out about The Great Plague of London and then
The Fire of London.
We have already been planning trips, and will be visiting the Museum of London. Our trips and activities will be linked to our topics and will really enhance our learning. We have a very exciting theatre group visiting who will really bring the subject alive and allow the children to dress-up and immerse themselves in the past. Our Art work will focus on creating pieces of work in pencil, charcoal, oil pastels and paint. We will be teaching English, including grammar, spelling and handwriting as well as daily reading sessions and phonics skills.
In English we will be writing a range of fiction and non-fiction pieces, and we will create non-fiction booklets about animals. We will read a range of texts and learn how to answer different types of comprehension questions.
As you know, there is now a big focus on grammar and spellings. We will continue with our phonics and reading sessions too.
This term we will be covering the following topics: place value, addition & subtraction and multiplication & division.
Help your child at home by getting them to explain what they have been doing in class, practising number bonds to 10 and 20, the 10 and 2 times table and telling the time.
You can also have fun shopping and using money to help your child understand the value of coins.
In Science we will be learning about ‘Health and Growth’ and understanding the changes that take place from baby to child.
- PLEASE NAME all sweaters, coats, gloves, hats, plimsolls etc.
- Please ensure your child has the correct PE kit in school at all times otherwise they will not be able to participate due to health and safety reasons. The children will be doing PE on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Parents and children are encouraged to check book bags for letters each day.
- Your child will read with an adult in school twice a week and we expect them to read at home with an adult every evening. The most important thing is that this is an enjoyable and special experience so that children really develop a passion for reading!
- Please record the reading that you do with your child in the yellow reading diary. This is an excellent way to share information about your child’s reading.
- Encourage your child to write in their yellow homework book as often as possible. This can include: writing sentences using keywords, writing about their reading book, creating or retelling a familiar story or weekend news.
- Spellings will be given out on Fridays and tested on the following Friday.
- It would be really helpful if you could send in tissues for the class.
- We welcome parent volunteers so please do let us know if you are able to help in the class or on trips.