Welcome back and we hope that you all had an enjoyable festive break. It is really lovely to have the children back in school and they have really hit the ground running! We are looking forward to a busy and exciting term with lots of fascinating learning opportunities. We will continue to keep you up-to-date with the ‘goings on’ in Year 3 and hope that you will continue to communicate with us if there is anything you would like to know or are unsure about. Thank you for all of the Christmas gifts. They were very generous and very much appreciated. The Year 3 Team.
This term our Topic is ‘Urban Pioneers’ through which we will be taking a journey through our local London streets, art and monuments and investigating how it has changed over time. Our trips and activities will be linked to our topics and will really enhance our learning. Our Art and Design work will focus on street art, creating wire sculptures and graffiti art. In English we will be working on several Talk for Writing non-fiction texts, beginning with the ‘Storm Unicorn’ through which we will write our own non-chronological reports. Following this we will look at suspense stories – ‘The Dark’ and ‘The Promise’ and street poetry.
In Science we will be learning about rocks and soils through which we will identify different rock types, where they come from and how they are formed. We will have a visit from Mary Anning and visit the Natural History Museum to learn more about the fossilisation process.
This term we will be covering the following topics: multiplication and division of 2 and 3 digit numbers, money, mental calculations, length, mass and volume.
Help your child at home
by getting them to explain what they have been doing in class and consolidating their times-tables. You can also talk to them about how their maths can be used in everyday situations.
- PLEASE NAME all sweaters, coats, gloves, hats, plimsolls etc.
- Please ensure your child has the correct PE kit in school at all times. The children will be doing PE on Wednesdays and Thursdays.
- Parents and children are encouraged to check book bags for letters each day.
- Your child will read with an adult weekly and we expect them to read at home with an adult every evening. The most important thing is that this is an enjoyable and special experience so that children really develop a passion for reading!
- Homework, Times Tables and Spellings will be given out on Fridays and should be returned by the following Wednesday. Children will be tested on Friday.
- It would be really helpful if you could send in tissues for the class.
- Please, please, please speak to your child’s class teacher if you are able to help in any way in class.
- Please speak to your child’s class teacher if you are able to help in any way in class. Reading, cooking, gardening, life experiences, music, art, careers etc.. We would love to hear from you!
- Please turn off all mobiles before entering the school grounds as we are a mobile free zone.