Welcome back and we hope that you all had an enjoyable festive break. It is really lovely to have the children back in school and they have really hit the ground running! We are looking forward to a busy and exciting term with lots of fascinating learning opportunities. We will continue to keep you up – to – date with the ‘goings on’ in Year 3 and hope that you will continue to communicate with us if there is anything you would like to know or are unsure about.
Thank you for all of the Christmas gifts. They were very generous and very much appreciated.
This term our Topic is ‘Home and Away’. We will be comparing the UK to India through our core and foundation subjects. In History we will be focusing on our school and local area and investigating how London has changed this century.
In Geography we will be investigating human and physical features, climate (including climate change), animals, atlas work and map making. Our trips and activities will be linked to our topics and will really enhance our learning.
We have a very exciting Indian Tea Workshop to learn all about life in rural India. Our Art and Design work will focus on; designing and creating tea boxes (linking with 3D shapes in Maths), researching Indian print patterns and printmaking onto fabric.
In English we will be working on a Talk for Writing non-fiction text called ‘Storm Unicorn’ and writing our own non -chronological reports. We will also be incorporating our topic to write postcards, instructions for cooking projects, diary entries and interviewing people locally as well as from India.
In Science we will be learning about plants. Linking to our topic to compare and observe; crops, economic impact, importations, water
transportation and functions and environments.
This term we will be covering the following topics: multiplication and division, describing properties of 3D shapes, problem
solving questions and maths investigations.
Help your child at home
By getting them to explain what they have been doing in class and consolidating their times – tables. You can also talk to them about
how their maths can be used in everyday situations.
- PLEASE NAME all sweaters, coats, gloves, hats, plimsolls etc.
- Please ensure your child has the correct PE kit in school at all times. The children will be doing PE on Tuesdays and Fridays
- Pupils are encouraged to have a winter PE kit to hand (dark coloured tracksuit preferably black) during the spring term as it will be significantly colder from January.
- Parents and children are encouraged to check book bags for letters each day.
- Your child will read with an adult weekly and we expect them to read at home with an adult every evening.
- The most important thing is that this is an enjoyable and special experience so that children really develop a passion for reading!
- Homework, Times Tables and Spellings will be given out on Fridays and should be returned by the following Wednesday. Children will be tested on Friday mornings.
- It would be really helpful if you could send in tissues for the class – thank you.
- Please, please, please speak to your child’s class teacher if you are able to help in any way in class. Reading, cooking, gardening, life experiences, music, art, careers etc. We would love to hear from you!