Welcome back and we hope that you all had an enjoyable Easter. This term our topic is Ancient Egypt and we will be linking to this wherever possible – resulting in an Ancient Egyptian Day, including a traditional breakfast, workshops and obviously in traditional dress! As always, please inform us if there is anything you would like to know or are unsure about and thank you for your ongoing support.
The Year 3 Team
This term our Topic is Ancient Egypt. We will be focusing on Tutankhamun using the book The Story of Tutankhamun by Patricia Cleveland-Peck. We are planning to carry out some fun STEM activities including Pyramid building and mummifying an apple. In Geography we will be using maps, atlases and digital mapping to locate countries and features in Egypt. Our Art and Design work will focus on using mixed media techniques to create Egyptian cartouches, canopic jars, Egyptian headdresses and jewellery. In English we will focus on adventure stories, poetry and non-fiction texts. Fictional texts will include ‘Where the wild things are’ by Maurice Sendak; ‘The Journey’ by Aaron Becker; Shape poetry – A Slithering poem; ‘The not-very- vegetarian Monster Chef’s Treat’ by Alan Peat; Instruction & information text—The Story of Tutankhamun by Patricia Cleveland Peck.
In Science we will be learning about Light and how living things grow. We hope to have some time in our school allotments and will arrange a variety of Forest School sessions with Mr Jenkins.
This term we will be covering the following topics: Graphs, fractions and measuring/comparing length (mm/cm/m), mass and volume. Problem solving, reasoning and maths investigations.
Help your child at home by asking them to explain what they have been doing in class and consolidating their times-tables. You can also talk to them about how their maths can be used in everyday situations.
- PLEASE NAME all sweaters, coats, gloves, hats, plimsolls etc.
- Please ensure your child has the correct PE kit in school at all times.
- Parents and children are encouraged to check book bags for letters each day.
- Your child will read with an adult weekly and we expect them to read at home with an adult every evening. The most important thing is that this is an enjoyable and special experience so that children really develop a passion for reading!
- Homework, Times Tables and Spellings will be given out on Fridays and should be returned by the following Wednesday. Children will be tested on Friday.
- It would be really helpful if you could send in tissues for the class.
- Please, please, please speak to your child’s class teacher if you are able to help in any way in class.
- Please speak to your child’s class teacher if you are able to help in any way in class. Reading, cooking, gardening, life experiences, music, art, careers etc.. We would love to hear from you!