Welcome back and we hope that you all had an enjoyable festive break. It is really lovely to have the children back in school and they have really hit the ground running! We are looking forward to a busy and exciting term with lots of fascinating learning opportunities. We will continue to keep you up-to-date with the ‘goings on’ in Year 3 and hope that you will continue to communicate with us if there is anything you would like to know or are unsure about. Thank you for all of the Christmas gifts.They were very generous and very
The Year 3 Team
This term our Topic is ‘Tribal Tales’ through which we will be taking a journey through history, from Stone Age through to the Iron Age. We will learn about these periods of time, incorporating art projects throughout (including cave paintings and necklaces). In English we will be working on several Talk for Writing texts, beginning with ‘Nail Soup’ through which we will write our own descriptive stories involving a character tricking someone or something. Following this we will look at suspense stories – ‘The Dark’ and ‘The Promise’.
In Science we are continuing on with learning about rocks and soils through which we will identify different rock types, where they come
from and how they are formed. We will also learn about the life of Mary Anning through Destination Reader and learn more about the fossilisation process.
This term we are starting with a review of addition and subtraction through the use of word problems. Following this, we will be covering multiplication and division of 2 and 3 digit numbers.
07-02-20 – When I Grow Up Day
17-02-20 – Half term
24-02-20 – Children return to school
Natural History Museum – TBA
Help your child at home by asking them to explain what they have been doing in class and consolidating their times-tables. You can also talk to them about how their maths can be used in everyday situations!
- PLEASE NAME all sweaters, coats, gloves, hats, plimsolls etc.
- Please ensure your child has the correct PE kit in school at all times.The children will be doing PE on Friday Mornings.
- Parents and children are encouraged to check book bags for letters each day.
- Your child will read with an adult weekly and we expect them to read at home with an adult every evening. The most important thing is that this is an enjoyable and special experience so that children really develop a passion for reading!
- Homework, Times Tables and Spellings will be given out on Fridays and should be returned by the following Wednesday. Children will be tested on Friday.
- It would be really helpful if you could send in tissues for the class.
- Please, please, please speak to your child’s class teacher if you are able to help in any way in class.
- Please speak to your child’s class teacher if you are able to help in any way in class. Reading, cooking, gardening, life experiences, music, art, careers etc.We would love to hear from you!