Year 4 Information
Welcome back and we hope that you all had a wonderful Summer holiday! It is really lovely to have the children back at school and they have already made a great start. We are looking forward to a busy and exciting term with lots of fascinating learning opportunities. We believe that parents and teachers work best in partnership so please come and talk to us if there is anything that you would like to discuss.
This term our Talk for Writing focus will begin with a unit on non-chronological reports. The main areas that we will be covering are traditional tales, information texts, stories with historical settings and poetry. In addition, we will be covering grammar, spelling and handwriting each week.
We teach reading daily and there will be an emphasis on comprehension and reading skills, so please encourage your child to talk to you about what they have read and ask them questions about the books they read at home with you. Please continue to read a range of different books at home with your child and work with them to encourage a love of reading. The children will also be encouraged to take a book from the class library as often as they would like.
Our topic this term is about The Romans. We have lots of exciting and interesting activities and learning planned. We are hoping to book a trip to visit the Museum of London to find out what life was like during the Roman times.
We will be moving on to discover our exciting new topic Potions.
This will be taught on a daily basis. We will be covering place value, the four number operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
There will be a big focus on the children developing deep conceptual understanding. We will use a wide range of practical resources to support and strengthen their understanding. Please practise times tables, telling the time and using money at home as this will really help.
Please support your child at home
Help your child at home by asking them to show you what they have been learning at school and by making sure that they have a quiet, calm time to read and do their homework each evening.
We are having a big focus on times tables so please test your child each evening. They should now have quick recall and be super confident on their 2, 5, 10, 3 and 4 times tables. By the end of the year that should know all their times tables.
In science we will be learning about sound and hearing, moving and growing and about teeth. These will be very interesting subjects and we will enjoy carrying out lots of investigations.
- PLEASE NAME all sweaters, coats, gloves, hats, plimsolls etc.
- Please ensure your child has the correct PE kit in school at all times otherwise they will not be able to participate due to health and safety reasons. The children will be doing PE on Thursdays and Fridays.
- Please make sure that your children check their school bags regularly and give you any letters that they receive.
- Your child will read with an adult in school weekly and we expect them to read at home with an adult every evening. The most important thing is that this is an enjoyable and special experience so that children really develop a passion for reading!
- Please ensure that your child brings the book that they are reading to school every day.
- Spellings will be given out on Fridays and tested on the following Friday. It will really help them understand and remember these words if they write sentences using the words.
- Homework will be given out on Fridays and should be returned on the following Tuesday.
- It would be really helpful if you could send in tissues for the class.
- We welcome parent volunteers so please let us know if you are willing to help on a trip or in class!
- Please turn off all mobiles before entering the school grounds as we are a mobile free zone.