Welcome back and we hope that you all had a wonderful Summer holiday! It is really lovely to have the children back at school and they have already made a great start. We are looking forward to a busy and exciting term with lots of fascinating learning opportunities. We believe that parents and teachers work best in partnership so please come and talk to us if there is anything that you would like to discuss.
Our topic this term is about The Romans. We have lots of exciting and interesting activities and learning planned. We will be creating our own Roman Villa, making mosaics and visiting the Museum of London to find out what life was like during Roman times.
This will be taught on a daily basis and in addition we will have a short grammar session. We will also be working on spelling and handwriting. The main areas that we will be covering are Traditional tales, information texts, stories with historical settings and poetry.
We teach reading daily and there will be an emphasis on comprehension and reading skills, so please encourage your child to talk to you about what they have read and ask them questions about the books they read at home with you.
Please continue to read a range of different books at home with your child and work with them to encourage a love of reading. We will read a class book during our English lessons, a guided reading book during guided reading sessions and the children will also be encouraged to take a book from the class library as often as they would like. So lots of reading!
This will be taught on a daily basis. We will be covering place value, the four number operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. We will be calculating fractions and problem solving. There will be a big focus on the children developing deep conceptual understanding. We will use a wide range of practical resources to support and strengthen their understanding. Please practise times tables, telling the time and using money at home as this will really help.
In science we will be learning about sound and hearing, moving and growing and about teeth. These will be very interesting subjects and we will enjoy carrying out lots of investigations.
- PLEASE NAME all sweaters, coats, gloves, hats, plimsolls etc.
- Please ensure your child has the correct PE kit in school at all times otherwise they will not be able to participate due to health and safety reasons. The children will be doing PE on Mondays and Tuesdays.
- Please make sure that your children check their school bags regularly and give you any letters that they receive.
- Your child will read with an adult in school twice a week and we expect them to read at home with an adult every evening. The most important thing is that this is an enjoyable and special experience so that children really develop a passion for reading!
- Please ensure that your child brings the book that they are reading to school every day.
- Spellings will be given out on Fridays and tested on the following Friday. It will really help them understand and remember these words if they write sentences using the words.
- Homework will be given out on Fridays and should be returned on the following Tuesday.
- Please support your child to complete their homework on the ‘Mymaths’ website.
- It would be really helpful if you could send in tissues for the class.
- We welcome parent volunteers so please let us know if you are willing to help on a trip or in class.