Year 4 Information
Welcome back! We hope that you had a good Easter. We are going to have another hard working and exciting term. We look forward to working with you to ensure that your child has a fantastic time at school. Please do come and chat to use if you have any questions or concerns.
Our topic this term is World War II, with a focus on life on the home front. In English we will be working on non-fiction writing, looking at texts about World War II and the fictional stories ‘Christoph’s story and also ‘The Spiderwick Chronicles’. We will continue to use ‘Talk for Writing’ to bring these texts to life and ensure the children have the skills to create their own literary pieces!
We will read daily during guided reading and also in our English lessons. We will teach grammar through English as well as discretely. Reading is vitally important so please also spend time enjoying books with your child each evening and helping them to understand texts more thoroughly by clarifying any vocabulary and asking them questions about the text. We will be reading a range of class readers as well as our guided reading book in class but the children are also encouraged to choose books from the class library.
In Maths we will continue working hard on our time tables and reinforcing the four number operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division through our fantastic new scheme – Inspire.
Please support your child at home
Help your child at home by asking them to show you what they have been learning at school and by making sure that they have a quiet, calm time to read and do their homework each evening.
We are having a big focus on times tables so please test your child each evening. They should now have quick recall and be super confident on their 2, 5, 10, 3 and 4 times tables. By the end of the year that should know all their times tables.
In science we will be learning about keeping warm, circuits, insulators and conductors. The children will also cover SRE this term but a letter will be sent to you prior to this.
- PLEASE NAME all sweaters, coats, gloves, hats, PE kits, plimsolls etc.
- Please ensure your child has the correct PE kit in school at all times. The children will be doing PE on Mondays and Tuesdays.In addition to their chosen book, children who are not free readers should also bring home their school ‘reading book’.
- Your child needs to read with an adult every evening. The most important thing is that this is an enjoyable and special experience so that children really develop a passion for reading!
- Homework, spellings and times tables will be given out on Fridays and returned on the following Tuesday. Spellings and times tables will be tested the following Friday.
- It would be really helpful if you could send in tissues for the class – thank you.
- We welcome parent volunteers so please do let us know if you are able to help on trips or in the classroom.