Year 4 Information
Welcome back! We hope that you had a good Easter. We are going to have another hard working and exciting term. We look forward to working with you to ensure that your child has a fantastic time at school. Please do come and chat to use if you have any questions or concerns.
Our topic this term is World War II, with a focus on life on the home front. We hope to visit the Imperial War Museum to learn more about this topic. Following that, we will begin our topic Blue Abyss, which teaches children about the human uses and physical features of the sea. Art will be linked to our topics this term and we are excited to see what the children will create! In English we will be working on non-fiction writing, looking at texts about World War II. We will also be looking at fictional stories, such as ‘The Spiderwick Chronicles’ and ‘Christoph’s Story’. We will continue to use ‘Talk for Writing’ to bring these texts to life and ensure the children have the skills to create their own literary pieces! Reading comprehension skills will continue to be taught through Destination Reader. Reading is vitally important so please also spend time enjoying books with your child each evening and helping them to understand texts more thoroughly by clarifying any vocabulary and asking them questions about the text. In Religious Education, we are going to be learning about Old Testament Stories as well as the Sikh religion.
In Maths we will continue working hard on our times tables and fractions, as well as developing our problem solving and reasoning skills. We will also be covering decimals, time and measurement.
Please support your child at home by asking them to show you what they have been learning at school and by making sure that they have a quiet, calm time to read and do their homework each evening. We will be participating in the Multiplication tables check test pilot in June. A letter will be sent to you once we have confirmed the date. Please test your child each evening so that they are able to confidently recall their times tables in and out of order.
In science, we will continue learning about ‘moving & growing’. We will then be learning about circuits, insulators and conductors. We will continue to carry out experiments to improve the children’s scientific skills. The children will also cover SRE this term but a letter will be sent to you prior to this.
- PLEASE NAME all sweaters, coats, gloves, hats, plimsolls etc.
- Please ensure your child has the correct PE kit in school at all times.Parents and children are encouraged to check book bags for letters each day.
- We expect children to have a book with them at school (that they are currently reading) that goes between home and school each day. Please support your child by checking that this is the case.
- In addition to their chosen book, children who are not free readers should also bring home their school ‘reading book’.
- Your child needs to read with an adult every evening. The most important thing is that this is an enjoyable and special experience so that children really develop a passion for reading!
- Homework, spellings and times tables will be given out on Fridays and returned on the following Tuesday. Spellings and times tables will be tested the following Friday.
- It would be really helpful if you could send in tissues for the class.
- We welcome parent volunteers so please do let us know if you are able to help on trips or in the classroom.