Welcome back to Year 6!
A Happy New Year to parents and carers for the year 2018!
Thank you for all your cards and fantastic gifts that we have received before Christmas.
All the children have returned to school eager to start the new term and to push themselves on in their learning.
The focus of Science for this term will be Animals and Humans with a look at the internal systems and also Electrical Circuits. In RE we are learning about Sacraments and The Easter story, with visits to our parish church – St Mary with St George. We will also discuss how calmness and reflection can help you to succeed and what we can sacrifice or give up. In Geography we will be exploring an in – depth study of South America.
Maths and English
During this term we will be revising the key skill as well as new concepts needed for their SAT’s.
The children will be encouraged to revise these skills using the links listed in the homework tab on the School Website.
This term is crucial for Year 6 as they will be preparing for their SATs in early May. We expect children to start a revision timetable before Easter to review the main areas of learning in English & Maths. Revision tools and aids will be posted online at the St Mary’s Website under the Year 6 class page. A meeting will be held at the beginning of the term to discuss SATs with parents and carers.
Please come along!
We are very excited about our upcoming trip to Pendarren. We will be leaving on Monday 22nd January at 7.00am from Rectory Gardens and returning on Friday 26th at 5.00pm. Please ensure payments are up to date.
The equipment list was sent out before Christmas, but if you do require a copy, please ask at the office. Any further queries please feel free to speak to Mr Broadbent.
- Spellings are given out on Monday for a test each Friday
- Maths homework will continue to be set online on MyMaths
- We have purchased an individual Mathletics login for each child in Y6 to practice key skills in preparation for SATs
- In addition to this, your child can also access additional learning in grammar using Spag.com, which they will have a personal login for Grammar sheets will also be given out on a Friday to be returned on Tuesday
- If there is anything that you would like to talk to us about do not hesitate to contact us
- PLEASE NAME all sweaters, coats, gloves, hats, plimsolls etc.
- Please ensure your child has the correct PE kit in school at all times. Children will be doing PE on Mondays and Fridays
- Pupils are encouraged to have a winter PE kit to hand (dark coloured tracksui t preferably black) during the Spring term as it will be significantly colder from January.
- Parents and children are encouraged to check book bags for letters each day.
- Please ensure your child reads every day and ask them about what they have read.
- The most important thing is that this is an enjoyable and valued experience so that children really develop a passion for reading!
- It would be really helpful if you could send in tissues for the class – thank you.
Jewellery and Nail Polish
We would like to remind parents that the only jewellery allowed at school are small stud earrings. Nail polish is not allowed.
If your child needs a mobile phone it must be clearly labelled, switched off before they enter the school premises and handed in to the Teacher for safe keeping during the day.
If there is anything that you would like to talk to us about, please feel free to talk to us before or after school, or make an appointment via the school office.
We look forward to a busy Spring Term!
Mrs R Molloy, Mrs S Yaseen and Mr E Quinn and the Year 6 Team